Friday, July 18, 2008

New experiences

One would think that after 6 months in a new place you'd pretty much know how to do everything...at least the standard thing like the post, transit, banking, phones, etc. But today, I had another new experience when I went to deposit a cheque at the bank.

In this land of direct deposits, where even your rent is taken directly out of your bank account, I must not have ever deposited a cheque before today. I walked into the bank, cheque in hand and asked the woman where I make deposits. She directed me to the deposit point, where I filled out the deposit card (after a few seconds contemplating if the card that said 'pay-in note' was a deposit slip), signed the envelope...but then I froze. There was nowhere on the cheque for my signature. My pulse quickened. I kept thinking that I might have brought the wrong portion of the cheque with me. Or perhaps this was not a normal cheque and I had to exchange it somewhere other than a bank for money. So I asked the woman at the front desk, "Where do I sign this cheque?" and she giggled slightly and said that you don't sign cheques, only the slips you put in the envelope with them. Ahhhhh...there is always something new to learn.

No comments: