Friday, December 21, 2007

4 hours and counting

...of my last day at work. It always feels odd to leave a job. Especially one you've been at for a couple of years. Regardless of whether you loved it or hated it, there will always be people, situations, and electronics you'll miss. This goodbye is even more bizarre for two reasons - 1) It is a half day before the Christmas vacation, so no one is here, and 2) I have no idea what is coming next. As Leo put it last night, "you may never work again." Not very comforting words.

The last time I was in this position was after I graduated from graduate school in Chicago. But at least there I was familiar with the city, I had friends around me, and I had an entertaining roommate who I'd drink beer with in the early afternoon (which he probably would have done with or without me) while watching teen comedies. However, being jobless and in a new city will allow me time to explore the place. I'll probably visit all of the museums. I'll figure out the tube. I'll find us a place to live. I'll take a day-trip to Stonehenge. I could be in Paris in 2 1/2 hours. This life of leisure doesn't sound half bad!

No comments: