Thursday, February 21, 2008

Leo's bad day

I called Leo at home a number of times yesterday, since I know how awful it is to sit around the house without much to do, waiting for a delivery. He was getting angrier and angrier with each call, and by the time I had left work, the delivery still hadn't shown up. When I arrived home, I found Leo yelling on the phone to a woman, probably in a call centre in India, about our delivery never turning up. The reason given was that BT (our phone and broadband provider) never gave the delivery people our flat number, so they couldn't figure out where we lived.

Our building has 9 flats in it. Most people who live there, I assume, go to work during the day, so there would have been little harm if the delivery guy just hit all 9 buttons. When Leo ask them why they didn't call when they couldn't find us, he was informed that the drivers are not given phones. When he asked if we could change the order and have it delivered to either of our offices, they told him that they only deliver to postcode E2. When Leo explained that we didn't know anyone in this postcode, and that there weren't even any stores nearby that would be open all day to receive the package, the woman on the other end gave him no assistance and just repeated the same story. At that point, Leo reached his limit and slammed the phone down.

Luckily, Leo had encountered a neighbour of ours when we first moved in to the building, so he asked him if he'd be home and could accept the package. To our surprise he said yes, so hopefully by the time I get home today, the package will be there and we'll be able to be connected to the world once again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. This blog brought up bad memories when we were having our Internet service installed. The original guys showed up AFTER the allotted time, then proceeded to tell us they couldn't install our service since a car was on the junction box. We believed them. LIARS. Anyway, it took my husband all week long (and using his US mobile) arguing to finally get someone here on Friday to install our service. Our service is now with Virgin, and they sent someone within a 4 hour window when we had issues with our service. Can't speak for any other company.

Jen said...

i find the whole thing really maddening. i think our delivery guys are just dropping off a package and don't have to actually hook anything up (i hope!).

Lizzie said...

ahh...hell hath no fury like Johnnies without their interwebz!! and yeah, hopefully you won't need tech support to get the router working. In theory, you shouldn't. My roommates and I have one and we had that thing set up and running in under an hour.

Glad to see you two having fun/doing well!

Katya said...

Our alarm system had a random "trouble" light so ADT was supposed to come out between 12 and 5 to diagnose the problem and repair it. At 12:40 Ben's school nurse called and said that he threw up at lunch and could I come pick him up. I had a moment of panic -- I knew the ADT guy would show up AS SOON as I left the house. I left a note and crossed my fingers hoping he would wait... sure enough he was waiting when I got back with Ben. Luckily he has kids so he understood!!