Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Maybe next time

The largest earthquake to hit the UK in the past 25 years occurred at around 1 a.m. and I slept through it. This is now the second large earthquake I have experienced and not felt. The first one was in 1999 when I was in Cyprus on an archaeological dig. After having a few beers at the local bar, some of my roommates and I skipped down the street to go to the other dig house to hang out. When we got there, we found everyone crouched in doorways and fallen items scattered all over the the floor. My fellow skippers and I were shocked when we were told that an earthquake had just occurred and how traumatic the experience was. We found a similar scenario when we skipped back to our dig house. The following day, I called my parents who had been quite concerned about the earthquake. They didn't understand how I hadn't felt anything, and I explained that I must have been in mid air (as I was skipping) while it occurred.

This time, my only excuse is that I was sleeping.

No comments: