Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The big-ish snow

Yesterday, London was blanketed by snow...a whole 6 inches of it (sense the sarcasm!). Not much by say Chicago standards, even New York standards...but a lot for here. Enough for here to shut down the city, bringing all of the buses, planes, and most trains to a halt, closing school. Due to the inclement weather an estimated 6 million people just didn't show up for work throughout Britain, most not even calling in. Sure, it took me 2 hours to get into work yesterday, walking the icy sidewalks (because neither shop owners, companies, nor the city feel any responsibility to pedestrians and actually shovel or salt the streets or sidewalks) and I had to walk to 3 different tube stations in order to find a working train (all of which were listed as being operational when I left my flat in the morning). But I got to work! Along with every other American I know in London, even when their commutes were even worse than mine.

As I was walking to work I was recalling my two mile walks to work during the transit strike in Manhattan. It was the dead of winter and probably the coldest week 0f the year. There was a great sense of community on those icy days, as people would walk together in packs like penguins to try to keep out the cold. Everyone was put out, everyone was cold and tired, but everyone did everything they could to get to work. Why? Because we had jobs to do and because we all felt a sense of obligation. Ok, maybe I'm generalizing a bit, but each day we'd get into the office, all with our stories of struggle and triumph to tell - hitchhiking across the Brooklyn Bridge, walking from the upper east side to Battery Park to get to work by noon, carpooling with coworkers from the outer boroughs, slipping and falling multiple times with strangers coming to your aid. But when I finally got into my office yesterday all the lights were out, and I was all alone. The place was a ghost town. There were so few people who actually turned up for work, the Museum was forced to close by 2 pm.

Yes, there was a lot of snow and ice. But everyone knew the snow and ice were coming, so why was nothing done to prepare for this? Why were the roads not salted? Why were the train tracks not de-iced? Because no one turned up to do the jobs they were supposed to be doing! I know I'm going on a bit too long about this, but I find it really irritating. I would have liked to stay in bed, I would have liked to make a snow man, and I would have liked to sit in a pub by a fireplace (if one was actually open yesterday), but instead I went to work and did my job.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I just heard this morning about your snow disaster.
The fact that you put new blog tells me that you at least have electricity in the flat.
Give yourself a break today and build a snowman!
Olga

lividlili said...

This is a once-in-twenty-years event. Why wouldn't you take the day off and play in the snow?

usamctwo said...

You are just celebrating your one year anniversary in London? Gotta get rid of your American way of thinking and think like a Brit. My husband could have walked to work (let's just pretend he hadn't given notice to leave) but was way more than happy to sleep in. He's the closest to the office too. Ah, the English way of approaching work.

Yes, most of our friends in the States couldn't believe London shut down from six inches of snow. London doesn't even have snow plows! Or so very few that it just wouldn't make a dent. The last snow like this was 18 years ago. So no plows.

I was surprised about the Tube closures too. Buses, I understood. But the Tube? The only ones that ran with few issues were the ones that are totally underground. I know Victoria was one of them. The rest are like 45% above ground. I think the BBC said they couldn't get all the tracks cleared off since it was snowing so much. Then things iced up after they cleared them off.

And one sight that I had never seen before...building a snowman and using a rake to gather snow! And the neighbors (parents and kids) made more of a coneman than snowman. That's when you can tell Londoners do not see this much snow!

I knew our sidewalks would be treacherous today, but was a bit shocked to find the sidewalks near the main drags totally caked in slush and ice. What a mess.

Speaking of the transit strike in NYC- my husband also braved the bitterly cold weather to walk from Brooklyn to Midtown. I had a crappy job and ended up staying home. I so do not miss that winter Brooklyn wind!

I'll predict by next winter you'll be complaining just like the Brits about the cold temps when it is like 2C outside. We turned into weather wimps living here. We'll get a big dose of cold weather reality when we get back to the States. Enjoyed this posting.

Jen said...

yes...the post was a tad harsh. i'm sorry england. i guess i just can't get rid of my american ways.

usamctwo said...

Not harsh, you were just being an American. Nothing wrong with that. A Brit would fall the other way if they went to the States.

Here is something you'll pick up while living here then curse when you go to other countries- queuing for everything!