Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm a believer

I promised to return to the topic of socialized medicine once I had a few more encounters with it. After I registered with my local surgery, I made an appointment to see the nurse. I was able to schedule the appointment one night after work (very convenient!). Again, the waiting room was clean, I was called in for my appointment on time, and the nurse was lovely. She took down my medical history, she answered by questions about how the health care system works, and we laughed about the system in the US. Afterwards, I made an appointment to see the doctor for the following week. I could have easily arranged to have the appointments scheduled closer together, but I already had other things planned. The appointment with the doctor was so I could meet him and to get some of my US prescriptions transferred over here. This time when I arrived for my appointment, they even called me in early...that has NEVER happened to me in the US! The doctor was very nice, there were no problems finding comparable medications, and I was in an out quickly.

Next came my visit to the Pharmacy...which I was sure would be the place where the whole system would fall apart. I had asked the doctor what I need to get the prescriptions filled - any IDs, medical cards, etc. Also, I had noticed that my name was misspelled on the prescriptions, so I asked him if this would be a problem. He said that all I had to do was hand the prescription to the pharmacist and they'd hand me the pills. I was still not convinced that it could be so easy. I questioned him further, pointing out that I had no medical history with the pharmacist, and would there be a problem since I'm an American. Again, he just said to hand them the prescriptions.

So I went to Boots (the convenience store/pharmacy in my local underground station), I tentatively handed the pharmacist my prescriptions, and anticipated the worst. He told me it would take ten minutes and to wait to the side. I was astounded at how many people were working behind the counter. There were 3 people manning the registers and at least 3 more filling the orders (very different than my experiences in the US, where there is typically 1 person manning the counter who moves at the speed of a three-toed sloth, is incredibly surly, and always tells you that they don't have the medications you need). After 7 minutes, they called my name and one of the pharmacists explained how to use the medication and what to avoid when using it, she handed me the pills, and that was it. I stared at her amazed at what had just taken place. There was no hassle. There were no problems with my insurance not covering something. There was no discussion of getting generic pills rather than brand name ones to save money. It was quick, pleasant, simple, and cheap! I walked out of the store in shock...pills in hand, money still in my wallet..and with a greater appreciation for socialized medicine. I know that things may be different if I actually do get sick..but so far, I'm a believer.

1 comment:

Katya said...

That sounds SO easy. I remember I once sent Ian to pick up a rather pricey Tier 3 medication for me. The Dr wrote it for 31 days so the charged me the FULL PRICE because the insurance only covers 30 days in a month. It took 40 minutes of arguing and a call to the Dr. to get them to give me a 30 day supply and refund my money.