Saturday, July 25, 2009

Garden update

So, it's been some time since I brought up the garden and I know you're all dying to know what's been going on. Well, we harvested our two marble beets, which I boiled and served with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. I also cooked the leave of the beets, chopping them and sauteing them with some oil, garlic and chillies. Though there wasn't very much to eat, it was all really good!

Everything in the garden seems to be growing well. We are certainly learning a lot about gardening - what we thought were brussel sprouts turned out to be cauliflower and vice versa. We had planted a lot of cucumber seedlings in the spring, all of which died when I planted them outisde. So I decided just to plant a seed directly into the ground, and it looks to be doing very well. If we get one cucumber out of this I'll consider it a great success.

The thing I am most excited about are the tomatoes. We have 6 plants which seem to be bearing fruit. I can't wait till they are ripe enough to eat. The anticipation is killing me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to grow cucumbers well. The only one I got this year is so deformed that I'm afraid of it. Ripe tomatoes are of course the best, but you could always make fried green tomatoes.
Aunt Bonnie

Jen said...

hopefully i'll have enough tomatoes for some green and red ones...right now i think the tomato count is about 9

Anonymous said...

can you post a picture of the whole backyard with the garden at its current state? i want to see those tomatoes in context :)

-hb.

Anonymous said...

The beets look really nice!
Most of mine are tiny,and they where in the ground since March!
They do taste good all the same.
We do have unusually cold (about 10F below last year) and wet summer.
Olga