Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Urban Gardeners

For the first time in our adult lives, Leo and I have a piece of land. Sure, right now it's just a large patch of dirt in back of our flat, but to us it's the promise of a great salad to come. If you know me, you know plants would rather kill themselves than let me nurture them. But for some reason, London gave me a greener thumb. My friend Caron gave me a tomato and a pepper plant last fall and both are still alive, so they'll be going into the garden soon. I've also got some herbs which I picked up at the supermarket, which are still alive. We've also started some seedlings for cucumbers, carrots, cauliflower, two types of tomatoes, beets, leeks, and peas which are now in our living room, but will soon be transplanted to the garden. Can't wait to see if anything actually grows!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good!
My living room looks about the same as yours.
I just planted some things last weekend in the garden. I got cold feet and covered the plants with plastic tent. Probably not a bad idea because we had hard frost this morning. All the plants that were seedlings (cabbages, parsley, dill, swiss chard) still look alive this evening. I also planted some seeds - beets, peas, carrots, spinach and radishes. I never grew beets before, but the book I am reading, suggests to put beet seeds right in the soil, if you have any seeds left try them both ways and let me know.
Olga

Anonymous said...

I love your new portrait - it is adorable!
Olga