Monday, May 12, 2008

Partying American-style

This past weekend we celebrated our friend Matt's birthday in very familiar surroundings - a bowling alley. I love to bowl...I'm terrible at it, but I'm always up for it and I always have a great time. In Chicago, we used to go bowling quite a bit. I guess it was just the thing to do. And what I love about bowling alleys is they are all the same - from the Bowl-o-Mat in Miami, to Timberlanes in Chicago, to Leisure Time Bowl in New York's Port Authority. They all have the same smell of disinfectant in the air, cheep beer, greasy food, ugly (seizure-inducing) carpeting, terrible music, stained ceilings, and surly staff (unless they are boutique bowling establishments, which although they look nice, they don't have nearly as much...charm).

I am happy to say that the Super Bowl in the Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre lived up to the same standards of its American counterparts.Same ill-fitting shoes (and horrible carpeting).Same water-damaged ceiling.
Same bowling bravado.
Same amusing antics. In the hideous orange glow of the bowling alley, I almost forgot where I was...and except for the thumping club music...it was almost like home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is very funny. I did not know there are bowling alleys anywhere else but in US
Olga