Monday, March 10, 2008

Sunday markets

Leo had to work on a pitch all weekend, so I finally had the opportunity to wander aimlessly around the markets in our neighbourhood (Leo's not too fond of junk and crowds). I started on Sunday with the flower market on Columbia Road. Our apartment is very bare, so I thought a plant might liven things up. The flower market was a lovely sight on a cloudy gray morning. There were flowers of every size, shape, and colour. And crowds of people clamouring to get the best flowers. That day there was even a violinist serenading the event.
I stopped by one of the stalls with the larger plants, and asked the woman which plant would be the most difficult for me to kill. I have a very (very!) bad track record with plants. In Chicago, I had a jade plant that was on the verge of death until I gave it to my cousin when I was moving to New York. For some reason, once it was out of my hands, it thrived. I came to visit my cousin a year later, and was shocked that the enormous, beautiful jade plant in her living room was the same pathetic one I used to own. In New York, I had an aloe plant which killed itself by jumping out of it's pot and ripping out it's roots...no joke! At the flower market, the woman in the stall pointed me in the direction of a dracaena and promised me that if I didn't over water it, there was little else that I could do to kill it. I think it's the same plant that Leo had in his dorm room in college, and if something could survive that foul place, I think it's likely to survive me.After lugging the plant home, I met up with Caron, and we explored the Spitalfields Market, the Brick Lane Market, and finally we wandered down Cheshire Street to another market which unfortunately was already shutting down. We were amazed by the array of junk, wonderfully smelling food, and fashionable clothes and accessories. All we ended up buying was a baguette sandwich, but it was still a very productive day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right -it is the same type. The plant from Leo's dorm room is still leaving in our house.
It became too tall for our ceiling and too bare, so Yuli did the botanical experiment, and cut one of the stems and put it in the ground ( I provided the room hormone) - it did just fine - so Yuli is trying to make a forest of them in the pot now.
Olga

Anonymous said...

I found the reference to the blooming flowers I was talking about - it is about Kew Gardens. They have daffodils, crocuses and cherry blossom in March, magnolia and tulips in April and the bluebells, azaleas and lilac in May
Olga

Jen said...

We'll have to go when you guys come to visit.